June 12, 2019 – Submitted by Linda Desjardins:
If it’s mid-June, it’s time for the traditional Louise Rossetti all-women 5K road race in Beverly. The race in Louise’s name honors the memory of a north shore running legend and is a must-run race for many women from the North Shore area and beyond. The course is lovely. It starts at beautiful Lynch Park and meanders through quiet neighborhoods with tree-lined shade-providing streets. The terrain is mostly flat with a few rolling hills for variety. As the loop nears the finish, the downhill stretch into Lynch Park lets runners expend any last reserve of energy in crossing that line speedily as they watch the digital clock tick off seconds. The weather for the 26th running of this classic was very runner-friendly with low humidity and temps in the mid 60’s. Several options were available: a 2-mile walk, a 5K race or a 5K walk. Women of all ages participated and 191 of them registered times in the 5K race.
The race was part of the North Shore Striders Grand Prix series, and members earned points by running the race or volunteering support. Once again, the Striders were well represented with runners in age groups from 30-39 through 70-79 and super volunteers Mike Pelletier and Dave Newhall. Our resident photographer, Roger Perham, was on the course snapping photos.
The team placed fourth among eight teams entered.
4. 2:10:11.2 NORTH SHORE STRIDERS ( 26:02.3)
- 1 22:38.2 Lauren Hamilton 2nd/30 50-59, 8th overall 7:19 76.3
- 2 24:56.8 Siobhan Stoney 11/30 30-39, 32nd overall 8:03 (not a master)
- 3 26:13.9 Mariellen Hayward 3rd/14 60-69, 47th overall 8:28 72.5
- 4 27:11.9 Vanessa Diranian 10/54 40-49, 54th overall 8:47 56.5
- 5 29:10.4 Karen Batt 25/51 25/51, 74th overall 9:25 53.4
- 6 29:44.8 Betsy O’Brine 5/14 60-69, 85th overall 9:36 63.1
- 7 30:43.6 Linda Desjardins 3rd/8 70-79, 95th overall 9:55 69.6
In addition to earning three medals, one silver and two bronze, three Striders, Lauren, Siobhan, and Mariellen finished in the top 50 earning them a coveted special edition Rossetti Race t-shirt. A great job by runners, volunteers, and Jill Page for organizing and conducting a very enjoyable and efficient race.