March 31, 2018 – Recap by Linda Desjardins.
Beware of the term “rolling hills” because it is extremely subjective. Six North Shore Striders, Mike, Annajean, Cheryl, Allie, Dave and Linda were shivering in the gusting wind and chilly air before the 10 am start for a USATF 15K Championship race. We debated adding layers and settled on “it’s always warmer when you’re running” and decided to stand pat. We knew there were “rolling hills” and we lined up on one. At least we got one out of the way. I don’t think anyone counted how many followed but it was all up and down, up and down, NONSTOP. And these were challenging hills, not little hillocks. They “rolled” our behinds off! The temperature did rise from the 41 degree 33 wind chill start and by run’s end we enjoyed the warmth of a nearly wind-free 48 degrees. The Frank Nealon 15K has a scenic course with delightfully sparse traffic on mostly country roads and we just ran and ran. Of the striders, Linda had run a half marathon three weeks before, Dave, Allie and Cheryl ran one two weeks before, and Cheryl, Dave and Linda had run the Eastern States 20 miler six days before. We were running on tired legs, most of us trying to tune up for Boston. On a tough course, on a great running day, on already tested legs, we all held our own and represented NSS well.
Here are the results:
- Annajean McMahon dashed to a 1:26:57 finish, 2nd in 65-69.
- Dave Jefksa rushed in at 1:30:28 and was 31/35 in 60-69
- Next Allie Vered scooted to a 1:33:37 and was 58/89 in 40-49.
- Cheryl Welsh raced in at 1:36:25 taking 9th in 60-64.
- Linda Desjardins held on for a 1:38:25 finish and was 1/3 in 70-99.
- Our fearless leader, Mike Pelletier, pushed across in 1:42:12, 4th in 75-79.
The women’s 60-69 team, consisting of Annajean, Cheryl and Linda, placed second. Individual NSS runners garnered additional awards in this race! Good job all.
NSS has some very dedicated runners! See you at the Run for Ricey on 5/7.
Addendum by Mike Pelletier:
USATF/NE 15K Championship Team Competition (top 10 teams in each age group score points)
- Women Open Division: 19th NSS (Annajean McMahon, Allie Vered, Cheryl Welsh)
- Women Masters Division: 13th NSS (Annajean McMahon, Allie Vered, Cheryl Welsh)
- Women 50+ Division: 10th NSS (Annajean McMahon, Cheryl Welsh, Linda Desjardins)
- Women 60+ Division: 2nd NSS (Annajean McMahon, Cheryl Welsh, Linda Desjardins)
USATF/NE 15K Championship Individual Competition (top 10 in each age group score points)
- Linda Desjardins: 1st F7074
- Annajean McMahon: 2nd F6569
- Mike Pelletier: 4th M75-79
- Cheryl Welsh: 9th F60-64