July 12, 2019 – Submitted by Linda Desjardins.
Miles Over the Moon is a race put on by Wicked Running Club and they label it a midsummer night’s run. Yes, it is! The weather gods toyed with us all week with dire predictions of oppressive heat and humidity and/or horrific thunderstorms. Well it was plenty hot and plenty humid; but, at 8PM, the sun was setting and could no longer bake the skin. And it wasn’t raining. We headed out from Collins Cove and immediately entered a stretch that had a nice canopy and a little bit of a welcome breeze as we headed toward Salem Willows. We navigated a two-mile loop, returned to the starting area and continued on a different two-mile course, one that went through Salem Common and included a bike path that led back to Collins Cove. It seemed the 2.5-mile water stop had more runners dumping the water on their heads than drinking! For this loop, the sky was a mishmosh of delightful purple hues, and seemed perfect for a night run in Witchtown. The finish, as always, was a welcome sight.
(It seems the mosquitos were also anxiously awaiting our arrival and collectively decided we were to be their post-race buffet.)
Eleven Striders got out for the run, and eleven Striders finished proudly. There were five awards garnered and two fourth place finishes, but this warm weather race, thankfully, felt like more of a friendly competition than a balls-to-the-wall trek.
Your Striders competing and their results in the order of finish:
- Lauren Hamilton, 1st of 38, 50-59 age group, 29:23 at a 7:21 pace!
- Rebecca Imperiali (new Strider), 4/30, 50-59 age group, 31:08 at a 7:48 pace!
- Jenn O’Neil, 7/38, 50-59 age group, 32:45 at an 8:12 pace!
- Dave Jefska, 4/12, 60-69 age group, 34:26 at an 8:37 pace!
- Siobhan Stoney, 15/35, 30-39 age group, 35:09 at an 8:48 pace!
- Mariellen Hayward, 1st of 7, 60-69 age group, 35:47 at an 8:57 pace!
- Karen Batt, 24/53, 40-49 age group, 38:34, 9:39 pace!
- Dave Newhall, 2nd of 4, 70-79 age group, 38:39, 9:40 pace!
- Tom McMahon, 9/12, 60-69 age group, 42:37, 10:40 pace!
- Mike Pelletier, 3rd of 4, 70-79 age group, 42:40, 10:41 pace!
- Linda Desjardins, 1/1, 70-79 age group, 42:54, 10:44 pace!
As the runners were heading to their cars, a few bolts of lightning flashed followed by claps of thunder and the skies opened up. Mother nature probably smiled as she provided the perfect closure to a night run in Salem.
Dave farley says
I would like to congratulate all fellow striders on a super showing! I was all set to run on Friday but unfortunately I picked up some type of virus , I’m better now after 5 days of recuperating, see you soon sincerely Dave farley